This technical daypack has been in development for a while and has been revised through many prototypes then tested on the local mountains. I have tried to strike a balance between all of the variables I have been looking for in a technical daypack. Top loading to protect delicate zippers, tough as nails 1000 denier nylon, and skinny enough to not get caught on stuff in the woods. A full frame is optional on this pack and while adding some weight, increases it’s carrying capacity and comfort with heavier loads. The framesheet may be removed at will for lighter loads or for when greater flexibility is desired, such as when rock climbing. Scaled to be the perfect size for summit attempts, blazing a trail through the woods for a day, or that multi-pitch climb at the Gunks.
Technical daypack construction:
- A blend of 1000 denier ballistic nylon and 440 denier packcloth nylon.
- bonded polyester thread for U.V. resistance.
- Double or triple sewn seams with interior nylon binding to hide and protect raw edges.
- Closed cell foam will not absorb water.
- Nylon flat woven straps.
- Tough buckles and hardware by Nexus/Fastex ™.
- #10 coil zippers and pulls by YKK ™.
- Every good technical daypack starts with a top loading main compartment with snow collar.
- Zippered top compartment with exterior lashing straps.
- Full waist belt and sternum strap.
- Optional frame sheet with aluminum alloy frame can be bent to the shape of your back.
- Ice axe loop and exterior rear lashing “daisy chains”.
- Padded back panel, shoulder straps, and waist belt.
- side compression straps.
- 25 Liter total capacity (22 L. main compartment, 3 L. lid) This technical daypack can be overstuffed beyond the snow collar to hold more if need be.
- 2 lb, 10 ounces for pack, 11.7 Oz for frame sheet.
Why buy a Sailsmith bag instead of a “big brand” bag?
A Sailsmith Bag is produced by one person, me. I fabricate your technical daypack from start to finish, ensuring the highest quality available. As I offer a 100 year warranty I am confident in the durability of every Sailsmith Bag that passes out the door into a customers hands. There are no little “errors” glossed over by trim as may happen at a larger bag making facility with workers who are not as concerned about quality. Your bag will only cost a little bit more and you will always know who made your Sailsmith Bag, me, A. Christos Contakos.