All sailors of yesteryear owned a small ditty bag to keep essential items close at hand on busy boats. When I worked for Outward Bound teaching sailing in Maine, having admired a colleague’s ditty bag, I set out to make one of my own. The year was 1990 and every year since that ditty bag has served me well, becoming the model for the ditty bag seen here. For a larger version check out The Logistics Tool Bag. As always, this canvas ditty bag is available in many various colors at no extra charge. To see all the possible color combinations, visit the custom color options page. This is the perfect “grab and go” ditty bag for active people on the water looking for one place to easily find personal items. No need to re-invent the wheel, might as well go with what has worked for hundreds of years and thousands of sailors. Now available with the option to add a grommet to the back side of the bag to attach your own lanyard, or to purchase a lanyard from me in the future. You can also order the bag pre-equiped with the lanyard. The lanyard is 1/4″ nylon three strand line hand spliced to a 2″ marine grade 316 stainless steel snap hook. To learn some more history regarding the traditional ditty bag, visit http://www.frayedknotarts.com/files/dittybagbox.html.
The Hurricane Ditty Bag Features:
- Just the right size for personal items or small tools.
- 100 year transferable warranty.
- Your choice of fabric, trim, thread, and paracord closure colors.
- 1 large interior pocket and 5 exterior pockets.
- Custom text available for an additional $5.00.
- Optional 1/4″ nylon lanyard hand spliced to a 2″ 316 stainless steel snap hook.
- 100% cotton canvas duck.
- T-138 bonded polyester thread for U.V. resistance.
- Double or triple sewn seams.
- Solid brass #3 spur grommets.
- All interior seams serged to prevent raveling, then covered with stout binding to hide raw edges.
- Double layer bottom for durability.
- approximately 12″ tall and 6″ in diameter, with 6″ tall exterior pockets.
- Weighs approximately 8 ounces.
- Sun glasses.
- Holds 3 12 Oz. cans or bottles in interior area.
- Any small personal items such as your phone, keys, or first aid kit which you may need on the water.
Why buy a Sailsmith bag instead of a “big brand” bag?
A Sailsmith Bag is produced by one person, me. I fabricate your Hurricane Ditty Bag from start to finish, ensuring the highest quality available. As I offer a 100 year warranty I am confident in the durability of every Sailsmith Bag that passes out the door into a customers hands. There are no little “errors” glossed over by trim as may happen at a larger bag making facility with workers who are not as concerned about quality. Your bag will only cost a little bit more and you will always know who made your Sailsmith Bag, me, A. Christos Contakos.